22 August 2009

I'm Henry VIII, I am... Welcome to MTV-Cribs



















Exploring sites of historical &/or
architectural interest is one of the essential aspects of all my travels. I usually purchase one of the official books on sale in the gift shop, take it home, and never read it. Whether I read the book or not, it is always in my library as a reference point.




Hampton Court has a rich history prior to, during, and after Henry VIII received it as a (likely not-so-willing) gift from Cardinal Wolsey. There's lots of background on this in the library or on the net.

Really, all I wanted to say was that I recall how much I enjoyed the official tour of the buildings when there in 2000. But the next time you see Hampton Court in historical (semi-historical?) presentations such as THE TUDORS, ask yourself:
Why do the buildings look 400 years old if they are being presented in the context of current events rather than historical interest?


photos (c) M. Stewart, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment