13 September 2009

Dial-ing it down...


The photo is a close approximation to my family's first telephone in late 1950s, in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  The phone did not even come with a curly cord, then, and was hard-wired to the wall. It would be a long, long time (possibly 15-20 years) before we even had wall jacks in Nova Scotia. We had a party line (another idea that is not easily assimilated by today's consumers) and only five numbers - no prefix. I think our first number was '44336'; I guess monumental events just stay with you.

I'm bemused by the fact that some of today's kids - possibly even young adults - do not know how to use a dial phone. But to be fair, communications and miniaturization have moved so fast that connected young people may look at this the same way I looked at telegram delivery by bicycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment